APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR THIS YEAR'S JUDITH BARLOW PRIZE. THE WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN MARCH 2018 AND THE CEREMONY AND READING WILL TAKE PLACE ON APRIL 23RD AT THE CHERRY LANE THEATRE. STAY TUNED FOR TICKET INFO!
The first place student winner will receive a $2500 award plus a $500 prize to their professor for introducing the material.
The second place student winner will receive a $1000 award.
ABOUT JUDITH E. BARLOW
Judith E. Barlow is a Professor Emeritus of English and Women’s Studies at the University of Albany, SUNY; received her B.A. from Cornell University and her PhD from the University of Pennsylvania; editor of Plays By American Women 1900-1930, Plays By American Women 1930-1960, and Women Writers of the Provincetown Playhouse; author of Final Acts: The Creation of Three Late O’Neill Plays, as well as numerous essays on American Drama.
2017: Leaf by Kara Jobe, Otterbien University (inspired by The Little Foxes by Lillian Hellman)
runner up: Water Strider/Jesus Bug by Alex Shannon, NYU (inspired by Trifles by Susan Glaspell)
2016: Her Own Devices by Lindsay Adams, Catholic University of America (inspired by Harvey by Mary Chase)
runner up: Doctor Scott by Aaron Scully, Unversity of Misouri (inspired by Plumes by Georgia Douglas Johnson)
2015: Three Landings and a Fire Escape by Selina Fillinger (inspired by Machinal by Sophie Treadwell)
runner up: Glad on 42nd Between Bruce B Downs and Fletcher Avenue by Jaime O’Brien, University of South Florida (inspired by A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry)
In order to apply, a student must be currently enrolled in (or have completed in the past 12 months) a class that is participating in History Matters/Back to the Future’s One Play At A Time: Historic Women Playwrights Initiative. Or for graduate students ONLY - with a professor's permission and guidance - they may commit to reading and studying six plays by historic women playwrights intead of participating in a One Play At A Time class.
APPLICATION PROCESS & DEADLINE
- Download and complete the Application Form.
- Submit the form with the one-act play (no longer than 50 pages). The play itself must be submitted WITHOUT the playwright's name anywhere on the document.
- A brief recommendation letter from your participating professor is required. It can be submitted by the student with their application or directly from the professor.
- The play, the completed application, and the recomendation letter should be emailed to email@example.com.
- The application process is now CLOSED for the 2017/18 Judith Barlow Prize. The winner will be announced in Spring 2018.